Position Posting: Music Director
St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Westdale, is a caring community of Christian disciples gathering in worshipful celebration, connecting with one another and our neighbours (near and far), and, striving to inspire growth, service and justice-making. We are seeking a Music Director on a part-time (six hours per week) ongoing basis, who will serve either as an employee or personal services contractor. The Music Director is accountable to the Wardens and Rector, reporting to and working under the direction of the Rector. The Music Director shall work in partnership with the Rector, parish leaders, volunteers and other contracted musicians to enable music to animate the worship life and nurture the mission and ministry of the parish with the following objectives:
- Nurture the parish’s mission and ministry, especially as captured (or reflected) in the parish’s mission action plan
- Select and provide music offerings which will deepen and enhance the congregation’s vitality, engagement and spirituality
- Facilitate congregational singing and participation as a central priority
- Promote inclusivity and diversity of worship music styles, genres, instruments and eras
- Honour and help develop parishioners’ gifts for music leadership (instrumental or vocal), especially nurturing and supporting children to take up music ministries and leadership roles
- Welcome and enable partnership with volunteers, contracted musicians, and other community organizations
- Support making worship and other music programmes available in-person and via digital media
- Plan for realistic augmentation and growth of the music programme (including children’s/youth, additional musician elements, choral elements) in increments which are enabled by availability of skills and finances
Outline of Specific Responsibilities
- Serves as primary musician (i.e. organist and pianist, et al.) in the parish’s worship services;
- Recommends service music and hymns appropriate to the season, feast day, or theme for worship services;
- Working collaboratively with others:
- Contributes to the formation of music programme development plans;
- Enables development of the parish’s worship music programme adopted by parish leaders;
- Facilitates pursuit and achievement of the parish’s worship music objectives;
- Monitors and supports the maintenance of the parish’s musical instruments;
- Advises with respect to audio (sound system and digital recording) quality control;
- Is available for accompanying pastoral offices (weddings, funerals) for an agreed upon honorarium; and,
- Recommends and recruits replacement coverage when absent due to illness or vacation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- At least three years of experience in related positions.
- Demonstrated ability to function independently and collaboratively in a team.
- Code of Conduct, COVID-19 vaccination and other safe church policies in effect.
- Satisfactory Police Record Check required.
St. Paul’s, Westdale, welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities for all vacancies. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please submit applications, resume and cover letter by October 3, 2022 to the attention of Ms. Jodi Aussem, Parish Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org or 1140 King Street West, Hamilton ON L8S 1M1